Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just the Beginning

I'm not really the blogging type. My mom blogs and I used to joke with her about it, but lately I've just felt like saying things I might not actually want to say in person to the people I know.

I'm 20 years old, I live in a big state, with a big city, and go to a big university. I'm a "sorority girl" and I don't believe I fit that stereotype well.

I put my heart and soul into my sorority and definitely get a lot back from it, some great, some good, and lately a lot of bad. I serve on a committee that focuses on sisterhood and morale. Unfortunately, this also means that we must deal with disciplinary issues. I knew this signing up for this position and I knew that along with it, I was going to receive some crap for it. This semester has been so different from others. Because of decisions my committee and I have had to make, there are a group of girls that pretty much hate me for their sisters' bad decisions. I get dirty looks and ignored in groups. If they pass me on campus, they look the other way or pretend to be on the phone. I try to brush it off, but it does get to me some times. Anything that goes on in the committee meetings and the situations are all confidential. I can't go home and talk to my boyfriend or best friend about what happened. One day, at the height of all chaos, I turned to my boyfriend crying. I couldn't tell him exactly why I was crying but all I said was, "I'm about to spend an entire weekend with a group of girls that hate me for another girl's VERY stupid mistake." This semester has been one of the most frustrating of all my semesters in this sorority and one may ask, "so why do you do it?"

I do it because of the moral and values that are in the heritage of this sorority and what it really means, not just on my campus, but nationally and historically. I do it for that handful of girls that are true friends and are there and support me and agree with my committee and I's decision. I wouldn't have met these women without joining the sorority and I wouldn't have found out how supportive these women are without these situations. I do it because after 3 semesters, I won't have to deal with girls trying to impress fraternity boys and acting petty and childish about drama. I will be this sorority girl forever in my heart and not by the letters on my shirt. I'm happy with the choice I made to join a sorority and its worth every penny.

1 comment:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

WELCOME to blogland! This was an AWESOME first post.

I hope you keep writing, not just about Sorority, but other things as well.

Little Miss Sunshine State LOVES you.